6.24.2009

A Tribute to the English Language

Last week, I worked in the gift shop some, helping with inventory and restocking. We have a variety of books available throughout the store and a particular room for art books, books on writing, etc. While doing my inventory checks, I stumbled upon this book, "For the Love of Letters" by Samara O'Shea. My new favorite book! It discusses the need to continue the art of letter writing, the personal nature a hand written note takes, the loss of the English language when we resort to only communicating via technology. She goes through the various types of letters - love, erotica, goodbyes, break ups, thank yous, apology letters - and, by using letters from history, shares tips with the reader on how to write good letters. As a huge fan of writing to people, this book immediately caught my eye. I read through it on breaks until I got paid and now have my very own copy!

I just want to share my favorite passage with you. This passage is in the introduction and, as soon as I read it, I knew this book was for me. Just soak it up, experience the sensuality of her words, and consider the truth of what she says...

My concern is, though, that what we gain in speed we lose in language - and, just a reminder, we are the heirs of a resplendent language. English is curvaceous, complex, and beautiful. Fluent and fierce. She is the lover you will always adore but will never fully know because there's too much to know. She is a true seductress - devious and overt, offering endless possibilities. With her I could tell you that you look gorgeous or that you look exquisite or that my body lost its breath when I happened upon you. When we encounter her placed in uncommon and alluring order we find inspiration and purpose. We find connection with ideas, with emotions, with people we know, with people we will never know, and with time periods that we must learn from and understand... Let's set time aside and allow our lovely language to bask in a place that has already proven its staying power: on paper. We must spread her our so that she can dazzle and breathe. Like all living things, if she does not breathe she will die.

- For the Love of Letters, Samara O'Shea pp. x-xi

1 comment:

  1. Aha, I noticed your post on fb about English, very well put. I like to consider myself a wordsmith and letter writing is a disappearing art. I may have told you that I was in prayer about my youngest sister and felt God told me to write her. It has to be a mandate from God because I would not have continued so long on my own. I have written her a letter every week since November 2003.

    ReplyDelete