10.28.2012

Positive Impacts


Just over three years ago, my best friend, John, was diagnosed with lymphoma. It was very aggressive and had him home with Jesus in less than 5 months. For those of you who have followed my blog in the past, you know the impact his death had on my life. It was the most impactful experience I have had and continues to affect my outlook on life, decisions, ability to love and my faith.

My world was completely jolted from the moment that the “C” word became a reality. It is never easy to see someone you love be sick, treated, and then die from cancer. It is even more difficult and transforming when they are young, fit, good, and your best friend. For many of my contemporaries who loved John, he was the first of our age group to die. That will forever impact us. The experience, however, of loving John throughout the diagnosis, treatment, and loss has had a number of positive impacts on my life. It took me a while to be comfortable with the acknowledgment that good could come from such sorrow but I am here to say that it’s true. God uses events in life to shape and transform us. It is best to LET this process happen as it causes much less confusion and pain when you let Him use life to better yourself.

One of these positive impacts came full circle last week. On Tuesday, October 23rd, I was able to donate over a liter (yes, that’s a lot!) of my bone marrow to a woman with leukemia. This would never have happened had John not been sick and the possibility of a bone marrow donation discussed. I have now, mostly, recovered and continue on with my healthy life. The hope and prayer is that my patient can say the same because of this small gift. John never got the chance to see if someone else’s bone marrow could save his life. However, I know that, had that been an option, I would have been forever grateful and in awe of his donor. So, I was able to give that gift to another.

I will use this blog, in a few different posts, to tell of my experience as a bone marrow donor. It is so important that the registry of names and tissue type expand so that those in need can find a donor. There are over 20 million people in the international registry database for bone marrow donation and, yet, millions more are needed. The chances of being matched and donating are similar to winning the lottery – you can see that the odds of a patient finding a match are very slim. The more names in the registry, the more chances of a second chance at life. Many patients are on treatment plans, just waiting for a match to sign up. Often, they undergo intense chemotherapy and/or radiation while waiting for a donor to match up to them. The thing about it is that, for the donor, it is a very simple process and at zero cost. We give some time and let them take bone marrow and can, ideally, save a life. What a gift to us as donors! I am still grasping the fact that what to me is so minimal and easy has great potential to change lives. Wow.

I invite you to follow my blog in the coming days to see, firsthand, the process, investment, experience, and emotions involved with donating. When I was preparing for my surgery, I eagerly read blogs to have that firsthand information and guidance. I needed more, though. Whether you are deciding to go through with a donation, or might possibly be interested in signing up as a donor, please welcome yourself to my story! It is my hope and prayer that, through my donor journey, many more will feel lead to sign up for the registry.

I look forward to scribing this experience in the near future. I value your comments and your prayers for my receiving patient. I pray that you will be touched by my story.

xoxo,
ac.

p.s. If you're already interested, visit www.marrow.org!

1 comment:

  1. Abby, what a wonderful example you are. I will eagerly look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete