5.22.2010

a taste of texas.

For those of you unaware, I am smack dab in the middle of an extensive texas tour. Only a true Texas lover could spend this much time in the car, see this many places, and actually enjoy each added mile. In 24 hours, I went from Marfa where there are mountains and cowboys to Midland where oil rigs decorate the horizon to San Antonio where there are rolling hills and house after house after house to El Campo where farm land and farmers make up 90% of the scenery. Talk about a day! I then proceeded to Dallas, where I am currently, for my little brother's (though he's hardly my little brother anymore) high school graduation and some family time in the Big D. He looked so sharp in the white tux that the boys wear, sitting on the outdoor stage, and taking that next step to becoming a big kid. Look at how dashing he is (with myself and the parentals):

Naomi (oldest of us three) is currently living the life of a Euro chick in Espana. We have missed her these last six months as our family had many big moments together: Christmas, a death and funeral of a beloved friend, Easter, Zac's graduation, etc. But we know she is living the adventure of a lifetime and that makes her absence a bit easier on everyone. Plus, good thing there is Skype - she joined us on Christmas morning and Valentine's Day from half-way around the world! Anyways, growing up with two domineering sisters means Zac suffered many smooches over the years. However, when I was little, I never actually put my lips to his face - he was my little brother and therefore too dirty for my lips. Here is a customary photo from last night's festivities (hermana, you have your side waiting for you...):

He is just so handsome. Sorry girls - he is very much taken!

So, here I sit in my childhood home full on yummy deliciousness that is only found in Big D. I love the food in Lubbock, I love the food in Marfa. But, coming to Dallas opens SO many doors to the world of culinary arts that are rare for those like me who, sadly, don't care to return to the city all that often. My newest realization: I HATE the city. It is great for shopping, going out to eat, and the cultural scene on occasion. But, it's not a place I need to live...ever. Lubbock is just big enough for me, Marfa just quaint enough. If you know any respectable, single men in the age group of 24-30 that prefer small town life to the city, pass along my name and number. I'm on the lookout and always up for a sneaky matchmaker moment!

Next on my agenda? Quick trip to Midland and then Marfa to pick up my car on Tuesday, San Antonio for Wednesday evening/night, and then Austin for the final grandchild's high school graduation. Weird to all be out of high school and in "the real world"...

Marfa means...a resting place before, in the midst of, and after all this traveling!

No comments:

Post a Comment