2.04.2011

JUMP start.

One task in life I always dread but, at times, cannot escape: jump starting a car battery.

I know, I know - this only is further evidence of my tendency to be slightly ridiculous in certain moments of life. But come on - my whole life I have been warned that, if done wrong even just slightly, you and your car will BLOW up. I am okay with dying if that is my time but...I would rather it not happen by messing up a recharge and being blown to bits! But, alas, I bet the worst that would happen is some sparks and a shock...but that's reality and, in times of peril, we forget to stick to reality.

So, Missy and I held on to our fates and went for it. Her car hadn't been driven all week - we thought it was just cold and hibernating, thus it would not start. I guess her dad was right - it really was the battery, not the below zero temperatures. Needless to say, we survived the experience. Albeit, there was much drama and laughter and anxiety throughout the ten minutes it took to restart her car.

Wouldn't it be cool if life provided us with a Jump Start option? Just plug your brain or heart or body into an active source of energy and you'll be good to go? Thing is...though we might not be able to just plug in and recharge, we do have things that act as the source of energy. Some find immediate energy in a delicious mug o' joe, a brisk walk or jog, a good movie to calm the spirit. Those are great for the short term burst of energy necessary to finish the long day ahead. But, the real "recharge" experiences take time. It took me nearly a year to really and fully recharge from life's hits. Sometimes it takes many years. But, what is necessary in all cases, is a desire to combat the lag in energy or desire and to push through to find the source of energy...to let that source take over for a while so you can just be still and let yourself be refreshed. With Missy's car, it took a few minutes of letting my battery recharge her battery. With life, it often takes time, also, to really flood your mind and spirit with the strength to keep going.


Marfa means...an oasis of refreshment and strength.

1 comment:

  1. Had a brief moment with it seemed the washing machine was on the fritz. A few well placed kicks and it is working. Not sure if we are out of the woods but the current load is being completed. Perhaps I'm being told to forego laundry today? Glad you managed the battery jump without incident.

    ReplyDelete