5.27.2009

It's finally here!


After years of hoping, months of building up excitement, and weeks of waiting for THE time to come, I am finally off towards my summer in Marfa. I have honestly wanted this to happen for a good five years now. Summer before senior year in high school, I tried so very hard to convince my parents that they should let me live, by myself, in Marfa for the summer. Forget that I was only 17, forget that I had no job lined up, forget that I had no CAR to transport me around the West Texas dessert. I just knew that a summer in Marfa was just what I needed to get ready for senior year and for "real" life - as if college is "real" life!

They, however, did not agree with my convictions. Much to my dismay, they would not allow me too mooch an unused car off of family friends or bike around Presidio County. I still don't totally understand but, then again, I REALLY wanted to experience that... So, now a few years later with a LITTLE bit of life experience and hopefully some maturity under my belt, I embark on the next adventure in the life of Abby. As a girl who LOVES to be out West and whose heart resides there, this experience is right up my alley. I am 99.99% sure that I am more excited for this experience than I was for last year's summer as a Spaniard. Even amidst the Spanish culture, handsome latino men, and delicious sangria, I couldn't wait for my return home and immediate excursion to the great west. Sorry Spain, ya never really had a chance with this Texas gal - born and raised!

Tomorrow I will leave the humidity and family love of Dallas to live in our Marfa house for the next few months. I have a really exciting opportunity to be THE (yes, the one and only) intern for a chain of hotels out there. They aren't massive or commercialized hotels. They still have the old, vintage style and hospitality that so many love about the Lone Star State. Not only do I get to clean toilets and make beds, I will get some unique and inside observations of how smaller hotels are run. PLUS, I will help them open the newest concept - a hotel better suited for the interstate travelers of today. For those in the hospitality industry, you know that if a student of hospitality management can get her hands on experience in OPENING a hotel, you are leaps and bounds ahead of the rest. YAY!

Along with work, I fully intend on utilizing the kiddie pool my Aunt purchased for my cousin and I, soaking up lots of local and cultural color, working on my lovely tan, working on my summer project (I want to start writing a book!), and spending hours upon of hours on the porch. Honestly, where the porch is does not matter - so long as it is in West Texas and has a view!

For those who want to hear about the horrors of working in a hotel; for those who want to know of my progress in finding my cowboy who will sweep me off of me feet and into his lovely ranch house; for those who just have nothing better to do this summer - read my blog, delight in my perfect summer, and experience the magic of West Texas with me.

"Texas is neither southern nor western. Texas is Texas." -Senator William Blakley

2 comments:

  1. Count me as your first and biggest fan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby! Oh my gosh I am very excited about following your blog. I know it is going to make me want to be home though. I love the way you write, very captivating and if you ever wrote a book I would totally read it!!

    ReplyDelete