5.30.2009

today.

Today was my first full day as a summer resident in Marfa. My morning began at a ridiculous hour - 6:30 am when I was awoken by the birds chirping and the trains chugging along by the house. I like sleeping with my windows open out here because the breeze feels oh so good but the "city" noise just really messes with my sleeping schedule :) So, since I had some extra time after waking up so early, I went for a jog - I figured I would get my workout over with so I wouldn't have to come up with an excuse later haha. While jogging, I realized that, at least in West Texas, 6:30 am is really not an "unGodly hour". It is only at this point in the morning that one is able to experience a West Texas sunrise. I rarely see this because I normally sleep until the risen sun awakes me. But alas, today I had one of those breathtaking moments...and not just because my out of shape self was jogging along! The sky was truly stunning - purples and pinks in every shade just took over the sky and the mountains were a dark blue. Such beauty this world possesses! Thank God, for real, that there are moments like those. I found myself purposefully running up the hill - something I avoid at ALL costs - in order to see the multicolored sky for a moment longer. It was amazing.

Thinking about this made me also ponder the incredible genius that God is. He provides us with the day time hours of sunshine when we (at least most people) work and socialize. Then we have the night time, a few hours where the world becomes quiet, the lights are shut off, and we are allowed to rest and rejuvenate our minds, bodies, and spirits. How reassuring it is to know that, in the words of Scarlett O'Hara, "tomorrow is another day" - another opportunity to experience life and build relationships. I love that God gave us day and night, a time to "live" and a time to rest. What an extremely vivid example of His Grace - we live life and then sleep only to awake to the glorious Light and eternal life. Mmm, God is good and I see it so much more clearly from the porch of our little adobe house. On my perch, I begin the day with a quiet time to rejuvenate and remember, then work my way throughout the day with the town's sounds as my soundtrack, and end the evening with a gorgeous sunset and the quietening of streets and homes. I love it. Just another way to show that God knows our needs (to have a quiet time after a long day) and consistently reveals himself through daily activities (remember that our full circle of day and night reflects the full circle of a life in Jesus).

Ok, well, I have activities of the day to report but I will save that for another time. This gal is HUNGRY and must rummage around for something to eat. Hmmm, I'm feeling spaghetti tonight :)

No comments:

Post a Comment